About Carassai Le Marche Italy

About Carassai, Le Marche

Carassai is only 3km from our Agriturismo. There is a restaurant, 2 coffee bars(with delicious ice cream), take-out pizza, bank, shops, a park with a playground, a pharmacy and a small archeological museum in the town hall or Palazzo Comunale. Durning the summer months there are several festivals in the piazza, including the week long “Sausage Festival”.

History

Carassai, the village of two castles is perched on a crest between two rivers, the Aso and the Menocchia. It’s 365 meters above sea level with a population of 1263.

Archeological digs show that the area was populated in the Stone Age. The entire area from Ascoli Piceno to Fermo is called the Piceno after the Piceni, the most important tribe who inhabited the region from the 9th century BC until 286 BC. In that year the Picenes were conquered by the romans and became a part of the Roman republic. You can see some of the archeological findings from Pre-historic times, the Piceni, the Romans, and medieval times in the Museo Civico Archeologico in Carassai.

Archeological digs show that the area was populated in the Stone Age. The entire area from Ascoli Piceno to Fermo is called the Piceno after the Piceni, the most important tribe who inhabited the region from the 9th century BC until 286 BC. In that year the Picenes were conquered by the romans and became a part of the Roman republic. You can see some of the archeological findings from Pre-historic times, the Piceni, the Romans, and medieval times in the Museo Civico Archeologico in Carassai.

amando During its history, the town has had several names. The current name Carassai dates from the mid 1500’s. In the 500’s, Carassai and the territory around it was under control of the Lombards, a Germanic tribe who invaded Italy and ruled central Italy until Pipin the Short, Father of Charlemagne expelled them in the 9th century.

In 1324-1325 Carassai was almost completely destroyed during the reign of the Avignonese Papacy. It was re-built and then destroyed again in 1356 by order of Cardinal Albornoz, a Spanish army commander who received his Cardinals head from Clemens VI and was ordered to restore order and muzzle the local warlords who sought to establish there own rule in the absence of Papal rule during the Avignonese papacy. In 1372 only a part of Carasai was re-built, and the population hid in the old castle.

In Carassai there are two ancient castles, Il Castello Vecchio (Old Castle) and Il Castello Nuovo (New Castle).

The Old Castle is of feudal origin, built in the 4th and 5th centuries, is round in form and is characterized by its tortuous streets and small houses which have internal alleys. Inside the castle is the Church of San Lorenzo which was built in 1424 and restored in 1574. The bell tower was built in the 16th century.

amando The New Castle, built in the 13th and 14th centuries, is rectangular in shape, with three parallel roads, the center one is Via Roma, the modern day main street. The fortified walls of the new castle are called the “military walk”, which you can visit.

Between the old and the new castle lies the Piazza or townsquaire and the Pallazo Comunale. The palazzo Comunale is a beautiful building with a portico built in the late 900’s. Adjacent is the church Oratoro di S. Monica built in 1699 in a late baroque style. It was restored in 2003-2004 and houses an art museum (pinacoteca).

amando Worth a visit is the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria del Buon Ges`u, originally built in the 15th century. The church features both Renaissance and Baroque art and architectural styles, and is the church in use today by the citizens of Carassai.

Nearby is the Castle Rocca Monte Varmine, the only castle in the Piceno region that is perfectly preserved as it was. It is undergoing some restoration work now (2008). Built in 14th century on top of ruins from the 9th century from possible Lombard origins, it has an inner courtyard and a church, San Pietro. It was one of the few fortified farms in the Piceno, not a noble house. In this castle was found one of the first firearms called the “bombardella manesca” dated 1341.


  • Where We’re Located

    Where We’re Located
  • The Weather Report

  • Read Our Reviews On…

    Read Our Reviews On…