Organic Lavender at Lavanda Blu in Le Marche, Italy
Here at Agriturismo Lavanda Blu we grow organic lavender.
Organic farming is the process of producing food and plants naturally. The motto of the organic farmer is to protect the earth’s resources, produce safe, healthy food, prevent soil loss and erosion and promote bio diversity. Certification is done by a third party who regularly controls farm practices.
Lavender is a magical plant.
A little history:
Precious, aromatic lavender has been highly valued for centuries. Traces of lavender oil were found in urns in King Tutankhamun’s tomb. The Queen of Sheba gave it to King Solomon when trying to close a deal, Cleopatra seduced Julius Ceasar and Mark Anthony with the help of lavender perfume.
The modern name “lavender” likely comes from the Latin “lavare” which means to wash.
It’s been used in history as a perfume, an antiseptic, safeguard from evil, protection from disease, wound and burn healing, and so on. Modern science has shown that the ancients knew what they were doing; lavender has many, many properties. In fact it is one of the safest and versatile herbs. Below is a list of some uses for lavender. There are many more, too many to list here!
- Lavender is renowned for its antibiotic, antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
- It deters mosquitoes and other bugs.
- It is used for: sunburn, acne, hair loss, anti-dandruff, insect bites, herpes sores, psoriasis and eczema.
- It is used as an anti-ageing, antioxidant skin toner.
- It has a soothing and calming effect on the nerves, helping to relieve tension, depression, panic, hysteria and nervous exhaustion in general and is effective for headaches, migraines and insomnia.
- It is an excellent oil to help with depression, migraine, insomnia and stress.
- And of course, it’s used just because its perfume is so marvelous!
At Lavanda Blu we distill the flowers and make pure essential oil and hydrosol. Hydrosol is pure lavender water made from distilling the flowers. Hydrosol has its own unique properties! We also dry the flowers for use in crafts and sachets.
The stems are also highly perfumed. Throw a packet of dried stems in your fire for a lovely fragrance…it can be used as an incense and also fire starters!
Ask us about the many ways you can use lavender essential oil and hydrosol. In the agriturismo is a small farm shop selling our organic farm products, a gift of lavender signifies luck or devotion.